Script Review: January 29, 2018
Audition: February 11, 2018
Exit the King
Directed by Danielle Mari
In Ionesco's most accessible Absurdist drama, it's King Berenger's dying day and also the last day of the universe. Everything is falling apart - from his own palace to the very physics of the solar system. Will his commands to restore order be enough? Or will we fade into the mist?
Meet the DirectorDanielle Mari first directed at Curtain Players with her production of Thornton Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth. Danielle has directed and acted with numerous companies in central Ohio including Raconteur Ensemble, Rosebriar Shakespeare, Eclipse Theatre, Evolution Theatre Company, Available Light Theatre, and Columbus Civic Theater. Before moving to Ohio, Danielle worked extensively in the Chicago theatre scene with companies including the Second City National Touring Company, Vitalist Theatre, Infamous Commonwealth, BackStage Theatre, and Victory Gardens. Danielle's solo show, Inconceivable and Other Absurdities was featured in the 2017 St. Louis Fringe Festival for a three night run. She teaches Theatre and Language Arts at Village Academy Schools, where she is the proud Thespian director for troupe 6116. She holds her Master's in Theatre Arts from Northwestern University and her BA in Theatre and English/Writing from Knox College.
May 6 & 20, 2018 at 2:00pm
A Curtain Panels audience talkback follows the May 6 matinee.
- Script Review: Monday, January 29, 2018, 6:30 pm
- Audition: Sunday, February 11, 2018
- 6:30pm - Registration [Audition Form]
- 7:00pm - Auditions begin
Script review, auditions, and performances take place at:
Curtain Players Theatre
5691 Harlem Road, Galena, OH 43021
What to Expect at the Script Review
Curtain Players offers a script review session for each of its productions as a help for actors seeking roles, but attendance is not required to audition. The event is an opportunity for actors to become acquainted with the community theatre organization, to discuss the play with the director, and to ask questions about the audition process, rehearsal period, and production plans. Those interested in working behind the scenes are also invited to attend.
What to Expect at Auditions
Curtain Players conducts open auditions for its productions. Roles are not cast in advance. Casting decisions are made by the director and a casting committee comprised of a member of the theatre board, a general member of the organization, and individuals of the director's choosing.
Actors are encouraged to come to auditions familiar with the script and ready to read cuttings from the script. Every effort will be made to give actors equal chances to read. Resumes and head shots are helpful.
Curtain Players has donated two copies of the script to Westerville Public Library for general circulation.
Curtain Players conducts one evening of auditions for each production. In the event that someone wishing to audition is not available to attend on the appointed date, an early audition may be requested of the director. The early audition will be granted solely at the director's discretion.
The request for an early Exit the King audition must be made no later than Sunday January 28.
Questions related to the audition process may be directed to email@example.com.
Approximately one month before opening night, rehearsals move into the Harlem Road playhouse.
These roles are available for this production of Exit the King:
- Berenger the First, The King – (40+) Stole fire from the gods, invented gunpowder, and split the atom. He built Rome, New York, Moscow, and Geneva and wrote tragedies and comedies under the name of Shakespeare. Is dying and might take the universe with him. Actor should be physically fit and able to memorize substantial dialogue, as this is a demanding role.
- Queen Marguerite, First Wife – (30+) The king's first wife, no longer loved. A realist, and this makes her severe. Actor should be physically fit and able to memorize substantial dialogue as this is a demanding role.
- Queen Marie, Second Wife – (18-30) The king's second wife, first in love. Always giggling or sobbing - nothing in between.
- Doctor – (Male, 20+) The king's surgeon, executioner, bacteriologist, and astrologer.
- Juliette – (20+) Domestic Help and Registered Nurse. Blunt but not entirely unkind.
- The Guard – (Male, 20+) Stationed at the royal palace. Overworked, overly earnest.