Directed by Hal Houston
Production Kickoff: November 10, 2019
Audition: November 17, 2019
Feb. 16 & 23, 2020 at 2:00PM
A Curtain Panels audience talkback follows the February 16 matinee.
While most of the characters are Jewish, non-traditional casting, without regard to race or ethnicity, will be utilized.
- Marvin – (30 - 39) Jewish; a devoted husband and father; smart, funny, and charming; struggles to reconcile his desire for a happy traditional family with his love for Whizzer; high baritone.
- Whizzer – (20 - 39) extremely handsome, athletic, and confident; has a tempestuous relationship with Marvin; character can be any ethnicity; tenor.
- Trina – (30 - 39) Jewish; wife to Marvin, Mother to Jason; charmingly neurotic in her effort to understand the conflicting feelings she has in the aftermath of her divorce; consults Mendel, her husband's psychiatrist, and eventually marries him; soprano/belt.
- Mendel – (30 - 49) Jewish; Marvin's psychiatrist who marries Trina and enters into the tumultuous world of her life with her son, her ex, and her ex's lover while struggling with his own feelings; high baritone.
- Jason – (10 - 13, to play 13) Jewish; Marvin's and Trina's son; bookish and awkward; his impending Bar Mitzvah, his parents' divorce, and the entrance of Whizzer into his life leave him confused, angry, and trying to sort it all out; tenor.
- Charlotte – (30 - 39) one of the lesbians from next door; a dedicated doctor alarmed by the mysterious illness that is killing her gay male patients; tough, but extremely nurturing and very much in love with her partner, Cordelia; alto/mezzo.
- Cordelia – (25 - 49) the other lesbian from next door; Dr. Charlotte's partner; runs her own kosher catering business; very keen on making a nice home but also wants to be useful and valued for her contribution to the world; high belt voice.
Falsettos is the story of Marvin, his ex-wife Trina, his boyfriend Whizzer, his psychiatrist Mendel, his son Jason and a pair of lesbians next door as everyone must put aside their differences to prepare for Jason's Bar Mitzvah. It is a funny and heartbreaking musical tale of the families we are given and the families we make. As the song says, "Love can tell a million stories."
- Production Kickoff: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 6:30 pm
Audition: Sunday, November 17, 2019
- 5:30pm - Boys' Registration [Audition Form]
- 6:00pm - Boys' Auditions for "Jason" begin
- 6:30pm - "Jason" callbacks
- 6:30pm - Adult Registration [Audition Form]
- 7:00pm - Adult Auditions begin
- 8:00pm - Adult callbacks
Script review, auditions, and performances take place at:
Curtain Players Theatre
5691 Harlem Road, Galena, OH 43021
Curtain Players offers a information session for each of its productions as a help for actors seeking roles, but attendance is not required to audition. The event is an opportunity for actors to become acquainted with the community theatre organization, to discuss the play with the director, and to ask questions about the audition process, rehearsal period, and production plans. Those interested in working behind the scenes are also invited to attend.
Curtain Players conducts open auditions for its productions. Roles are not cast in advance, and, unless specified otherwise in the role's description, are open to all without regard to race or ethnicity. Casting decisions are made by the director and a casting committee comprised of a member of the theatre board, a general member of the organization, and individuals of the director's choosing.
Curtain Players has donated two copies of the script to Westerville Public Library for general circulation.
Auditions will consist of prepared solos 16-32 bars long. When choosing a song, please choose a piece that you are comfortable singing. Your song should show your range and that you are appropriate for your desired role. Please do not sing from the show. Please bring your own sheet music. An accompanist will be provided. Be prepared for a possible movement audition.
The following songs will be used for the callbacks. Music for these will be provided, but feel free to prepare ahead of time.
What More Can I Say?
The Games I Play
Holding to the Ground
I'm Breaking Down
Everyone Hates His Parents
Miracle of Judaism
Something Bad Is Happening
Something Bad Is Happening
Requests for an early audition for Falsettos must be made no later than November 03, 2019.
Questions related to the audition process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will rehearse 4-5 nights a week for about 3 hours, and the schedule will be set based on cast and staff conflicts and availability. Other than tech there will be no Saturday or Sunday rehearsals (this could change depending on conflicts, but the preference is that it doesn't). Please come to auditions with a list of ALL scheduling conflicts from the day after auditions until closing.
Curtain Players donation in
The Giving Store!
Not only does it feel great to volunteer, house staff see performances for free! Learn more >