Directed by Kathy Hyland
Stage Manager Jeremy Harrison
Production Kickoff: November 15, 2020
Audition: November 22, 2020
Feb. 7, 14, & 21, 2021 at 2:00PM
Unless specifically noted, all roles are open to all regardless of race or ethnicity.
Possibility for Extras: 2m, 1f
- Mr. Morlock – (Male, 50ish) A blustery man, graying just a little. He's vice-president of Brubaker and Brubaker; self-centered, expects the world. He's nervous, excitable, easily upset, and it's easy to see he's about to crack under the nervous strain.
- Mrs. Morlock – (Female, middle-aged) Middle-aged, attractive woman. Worries and troubles have put some gray in her hair and some lines in her brow. She's very sensible, understanding and sympathetic, a wonderful mother.
- Mary – (Female, 20s) Oldest daughter. Very pretty, charming, neat, and immaculate in every respect. She's sweet, vivacious, "an ideal daughter." She's very close to her mother, but still thinks for herself.
- Jessica – (Female, teens) Teen daughter. She's a bundle of action and energy and aspires to be a champion wrestler. She's witty, quick, and says just about anything that comes to her mind.
- Mildred – (Female, 30ish) Morlocks' maid. She's deadpan and expressionless, always bored and disgruntled, has a habit of telling everyone off. Mildred walks in long, jerky strides.
- Luigi Lanconi – (Male, 50-60) Joe's papa. Shabbily dressed, gray-haired Italian. He has a pitiful look which suggests he's had more than his share of hard knocks in life. He's very timid, usually easygoing. A baker by trade. Not well-educated, but has a heart of gold.
- Joe Lanconi – (Male, 20s) Mary's fiancé. A senior in college. Gets along splendidly with everyone in the Morlock family, except Mr. Morlock. Joe is handsome, cordial, well-mannered, and very sensible.
- Martha – (Female,20s-30s) A very pleasant girl.
- Lucifer – (Male, 20-40) From "Down Below." The rounder-upper of lost souls. Lucifer is arrogant, cocky, and walks with a swagger.
- Miss Akers – (Female, 30s) Mr. Morlock's secretary. She has a mind of her own, uses it, and most of the time does just as she pleases.
- George Plew – (Male, 40s) Attorney with horn-rimmed glasses. He's small, shriveled, meek, and easily swayed.
- Mrs. Schmaltz – (Female) A little old middle-aged lady, somewhat of a man-eater.
- Dr. Brown – (Male, middle-aged) The family physician.
- Mr. Black – (Male, 30-60) The nervous, twitchy mortician.
- Jake – (Male, 50-80) British news-carrier; sixty-something.
- Mrs. Frinck – (Female, 50-80) Laundress of German descent.
Mr. Morlock is a fidgety, grouchy old fellow who doesn't like anything but money and won't let his daughter marry Joe Laconi because he's poor. So when Joe's papa, Luigi, comes over to plead his son's case, the two men start feuding and Mr. Morlock says if Mary weds Joe, it'll be over his dead body! Luigi says if they don't get married it'll be over his! When Luigi has a heart attack, the feud appears over. But Luigi gets permission from "up there" to come back and haunt Mr. Morlock and continue haunting him until he gives the kids his blessing. Mr. Morlock is frenzied! Luigi's ghost, visible only to Morlock, kicks him off the couch, pulls the covers off him, kicks him in the seat, flirts with his secretary, and cavorts around in a fashion that would put most ghosts to shame. Poor Mr. Morlock, the entire family thinks he's lost his few remaining marbles. In his despair, he accidentally takes too many sleeping pills. Then it happens. He, too, kicks the bucket. But Mr. Morlock refuses to leave earth until things are settled to his satisfaction, and of course, Luigi says he will not rest in peace until Mary and Joe are married. Unfortunately, life in Mr. Morlock's home goes on as if nothing happened and for the first time ever, Mr. Morlock realizes his mistakes and begs for another chance.
Production Review will be a
virtual meeting. The link and password will be available the weekend of the production kickoff.
Pre-Signup for auditions is required
Auditions and performances take place at:
Curtain Players Theatre
5691 Harlem Road, Galena, OH 43021
*Please note that all individuals must wear a mask to be permitted entry into the playhouse for auditions.*
Curtain Players offers a information session for each of its productions as a help for actors seeking roles, but attendance is not required to audition. The event is an opportunity for actors to become acquainted with the community theatre organization, to discuss the play with the director, and to ask questions about the audition process, rehearsal period, and production plans. Those interested in working behind the scenes are also invited to attend.
Curtain Players conducts open auditions for its productions.
Roles are not cast in advance, and, unless specified otherwise in the role's description, are open to all without regard to race or ethnicity.
Casting decisions are made by the director and a casting committee comprised of a member of the theatre board, a general member of the organization, and individuals of the director's choosing.
Actors are encouraged to come to auditions familiar with the script and ready to read cuttings from the script. Every effort will be made to give actors equal chances to read. Resumes and head shots are helpful but not necessary.
Requests for an early audition for Rest Assured must be made no later than November 08, 2020.
Questions related to the audition process may be directed to email@example.com.
The intended rehearsal schedule is Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM until 9:00 PM, but may change due to actor availability.
Curtain Players donation in
The Giving Store!
Not only does it feel great to volunteer, house staff see performances for free! Learn more >