Directed by Bethany Schoeff
Production Kickoff: January 02, 2022
Audition: January 09, 2022
Apr. 3 & 10, 2022 at 2:00PM
Unless specifically noted, all roles are open to all regardless of race or ethnicity.
- Garry Essendine – (M 35-55) self-obsessed famous London actor; age 40*; he dreads getting old and losing his appeal, but in reality fears being alone; British accent (RP) required; has several monologues.
- Liz Essendine – (F 30-50) Garry's wife (they've been separated for years, but she is still in his small circle of friends); stylish/poised, kind, witty, pragmatic; in her 30s; theatrical producer/writer; British accent (RP) required.
- Morris Dixon – (M 35-55) Garry's theatrical manager and friend; in his late 30s; smart, romantic; in love with Joanna; British accent (RP) required.
- Henry Lyppiatt – (M 35-55) successful businessman; Garry's longtime producer and friend; husband of Joanna; proper, proud, slightly pompous but oblivious; about 40; British accent (RP) required.
- Joanna Lyppiatt – (F 25-45) wife of Henry; in her early 30s; attractive, glamorous, cunning, self-confident, seductive; British accent (RP) required.
- Monica Reed – (F 35-55) Garry's tolerant secretary and confidante; organized, sharp-witted, patient, pleasant but also austere; in her early 40s; British accent (RP) required.
- Daphne Stillington – (F 18-30) pretty debutante; quirky, astute, slightly naïve, but ambitious; ardent admirer of Garry; age 24; British accent (RP) required.
- Roland Maule – (M 20-35) earnest, aspiring playwright; obsessed fan of Garry; slightly unstable, odd, nervous; wears glasses; in his 20s; British accent (RP) required.
- Fred – (M 25-45) Garry's valet; unrefined, laidback, easygoing; Cockney accent required.
- Miss Erikson – (F 45-65) Garry's chain-smoking housekeeper; slow-moving, strange; attends séances; Swedish accent required (can be doubled with Lady Saltburn).
- Lady Saltburn – (F 55-75) wealthy aristocrat; dignified but sometimes effusive; aunt of Daphne; patron of the arts; British accent (RP) required (can be doubled with Miss Erikson).
*NOTE: Garry's specific age (40) is mentioned aloud in the dialogue. However, these lines could be played off as a "lie" (i.e. Garry trying to sound younger). The age ranges listed for most roles are a general guide and not compulsory for this director's casting purposes.
The egocentric, self-indulgent actor, Garry Essendine, is at the height of his fame on the London stage. He has a multitude of adoring fans, but he fears becoming obsolete now that he has turned forty. Adding to this impending mid-life crisis, Garry must deal with a parade of interlopers who disrupt preparations for his overseas theatrical tour. His household is thrown into chaos as he juggles an infatuated debutante, an unhinged playwright, a seductive married woman, his long-suffering secretary, and his estranged wife, as well as the entangled love lives of his close colleagues.
Script review, auditions, and performances take place at:
Curtain Players Theatre
5691 Harlem Road, Galena, OH 43021
Curtain Players offers a information session for each of its productions as a help for actors seeking roles, but attendance is not required to audition. The event is an opportunity for actors to become acquainted with the community theatre organization, to discuss the play with the director, and to ask questions about the audition process, rehearsal period, and production plans. Those interested in working behind the scenes are also invited to attend.
Curtain Players conducts open auditions for its productions.
Roles are not cast in advance, and, unless specified otherwise in the role's description, are open to all without regard to race or ethnicity.
Casting decisions are made by the director and a casting committee comprised of a member of the theatre board, a general member of the organization, and individuals of the director's choosing.
Actors are encouraged to come to auditions familiar with the script and ready to read cuttings from the script. Every effort will be made to give actors equal chances to read. Resumes and head shots are helpful but not necessary.
Requests for an early audition for Present Laughter must be made no later than December 26, 2021.
Questions related to the audition process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rehearsals for our productions begin in an offsite location, to be determined for each production. Approximately one month before opening night, rehearsals move into the Harlem Road playhouse.
Curtain Players donation in
The Giving Store!
Not only does it feel great to volunteer, house staff see performances for free! Learn more >